Monday, May 2, 2011

Travel Week- pretend this was posted 4-16

This past week we drove all the way across South Africa, from Pietermaritzburg to Cape Town.
We stayed in six different hotels along the way, and because the entire drive was along the coast, most nights were spent hanging out on the beach.
On Sunday we were in Port Elizabeth, and it happened to be the day of the South African IronMan triathlon.  The beach part of Port Elizabeth looked more like a level in Tony Hawk video games than any place I've ever seen.  My good friend Derek and I have missed playing basketball this entire semester, and we often talk about how nothing sounds better than playing a game of basketball.  Derek and I walked up to an empty swimming pool and I looked up and saw a basketball rise above the roof of a building and hit a backboard.  My involuntary response was to ecstatically yell a swear word or two, and we were both running towards the court immediately.  We came around the corner to see a group of guys playing ball.  We asked if we could get in, and we kicked off our flip flops and played an hour of ball in our bare feet and beach clothes.  Oh boy did we dominate.  It was so awesome, and despite the new blisters on our feet, we felt so refreshed.
The following day we went bungy jumping, at what is apparently the highest jump in the world.  On the platform, music was playing and everyone was dancing, which created a great distraction before the jump.  The jump was so amazing and surreal.  It was oddly peaceful, and if it weren't for all the blood rushing to my head, I wouldn't have minded hanging there all day.
We arrived in Cape Town on Wednesday which happened to be my birthday, and we had an awesome two days of exploring the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment