Thursday, March 24, 2011

Service Site So Far

Tomorrow is the last day of week three.  We are well over halfway through our service sites.  So crazy ridiculous.  And you don't even know what I've been doing because I've been doing a terrible job at keeping my blog updated.

Typical Day at Walk in the Light:
8:00am- leave campus
8:30-9:30- someone leads a devotion, prayer and such, walk into the township
9:30-1:00- work on the house we're building, home visits, various other miscellaneous tasks
1:00-2:30- lunch, hangout time, nap, plan the remainder of the afternoon
2:30-4:00 or 5:00- Activities with community members depending on the day.  Games, songs, soccer, prayer, Bible studies, and talks with little kids, old ladies, or 17-24 year olds.


The first few days of working were challenging because much of the work was so similar to my job last summer.  I didn't feel like I was doing anything too special.  The relationships with the people in the township are what have made me really grow to love the ministry of Walk in the Light and the town of Haniville.  There are so many amazing people.  Building the house has been awesome, and I'm loving the visual results at the end of every day (both with the house and the joyfulness of the lady we're building it for).  However, building the house has been the most tangible of our work, but for me, it has not been the most satisfying.  What has been truly humbling and meaningful for me has been our encouragement of the people already making a difference in the community.  Last Friday, we met with the 17-24 year old youth group and talked to them about their work in the community, and it was amazing.  They are so passionate and motivated, and they are full of ideas and the energy to match.  I don't know what my expectations were previously; I don't think I believed we could change and entire community in 3.5 weeks, and if I did, I'm an idiot.  We are building a house for a family and that will change their life for the better, but the big changes in the whole of the community will be the work of the amazing people we first met last week.  I believe these changes will come from people my age, Snash and Tash and Alfred and Sihle, with a little bit of hip-hop and lots of prayer and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment